0203 488 4939, 07939 226 000 info@homesafetycert.co.uk

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

In section 6 from “The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012”, explains the landlord’s duties in relation to Energy performance certificates on sale and rent.
Legislation states –

6.— (1) Subject to regulation 8, this regulation applies where a building is to
be sold or rented out.

(2) The relevant person shall make available free of charge a valid
energy performance certificate to any prospective buyer or tenant

(a) at the earliest opportunity; and
(b)in any event no later than whichever is the earlier of—

(i)in the case of a person who requests information about the
building, the time at which the relevant person first makes
available any information in writing about the building to the
person; or
(ii)in the case of a person who makes a request to view the
building, the time at which the person views the building.

Click here to visit the official website reference page.

Landlord’s focus points-

* EPC Certificates are needed before the property is in the market for sell or rent.
* A property must achieve minimum ‘E’ rating on their EPC assessment.
* An EPC is valid for 10 years.
* In HMO licencing application, councils require EPC along with other necessary documentations.

Emergency Lighting

Emergency lighting is not a legal requirement for private homes (single private dwelling). But it is mandatory for HMO properties. LACoRS published Guidance on Emergency lighting. For certain 2 storey properties (for example) where there is borrowed light and no back addition emergency lighting may not be necessary, this will be determined on a risk basis.

Click here to see the guidance.

  • landlord focus points-Emergency lightings are mandatory for HMO properties.
  • Emergency lights should be located on the fire escape route.
  • Clearly visible ‘EXIT’ exit signs above final exit doors.

Smoke, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Domestic property MUST need to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of a property. It is mandatory to have carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in those rooms where appliances burning solid fuel (eg a coal fire, wood burning stove).
In a smoky room like the kitchen, a heat alarm is more suitable than smoke alarm. These alarms go off when the room reaches a certain temperature. London Fire Bridget strongly advise to use heat alarm in kitchen areas but is it not a law.

Read more from London fire brigade.

Read more from Govt website.

Landlord focus points-

  • The alarms must need to be in working order at the start of each new tenancy.
  • Local authorities can impose fine of up to £5,000 if a landlord fails to comply with smoke alarm.

Fire Alarm

Automated & advanced fire panel system are required depending on No. of rooms & people living at a property. Fire alarm systems are not popular for private homes (single private dwelling). But the law is stricter for HMO as they are classed as a higher risk property. HMO fire safety are controlled by Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRFSO)

LACORS published Guidance on fire safety in HMO properties. To see the Guidance click here 

Landlord focus points-

  • The fire alarms must need to be in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

  • Local authorities can impose fine of up to £5,000 if a landlord fails to comply with regulation/standard.

  • In HMO licencing application, council required a fire alarm pass certificate along the guidance of LACORS.

Enter your postcode to get an instant price

About Us
We provide domestic safety certificates to the Landlords within London (M25). Our qualified, and trained engineers will carry out inspections in your property and issue certificate as fast as 24 hours.

Installation Services

Consumer Unit

Emergrncy Light

Fire Alarm

Boiler Installation

Cooker Installation